Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I really enjoyed all of the literature samples Claire brought into class this week.  It was refreshing to see some African American literature that was positive and uplifting.  Sometimes it seems like there are too many slave narratives and sad stories and not enough happy and positive literature.  Langston Hughes is always one of my favorites.  His poetry has inspired me to write some of my own a couple of times.  He gets across a very deep message in simple forms.  It is an easy style to mimic.  Other African American samples from class were quite different from Hughes, however.  I can't remember the author, but the story that had no pictures and it told the story of slave passage to America.  I am not sure if I would use this book in my class just because of how graphic some of the illustrations were.  They could raise some awkward questions and disturb parents at home.  The book was very good at bringing out emotions and feelings from deep inside, it may be a little too graphic for a fourth grade classroom.

1 comment:

Tiffany Marie said...

I definitely agree that my favorite literature samples that Claire brought in were that of African Americans. A lot of the books that I looked over had positive portrayals of African Americans, the content as well as the illustrations. For my future references, I even wrote down some of the titles and authors so I can buy them for the future library in my classroom. However, I also felt like some of these books brought in many issues that may be too depressing, or were not age appropriate to discusses- such as slavery. I was still happy to see that insiders are finally able to take these topics and write them with authenticity and accurateness. The stories from the past are told by authors who have experiences and knowledge, instead of people who write about issues dealing with African Americans such as oppression and slavery based on generations that have brought in misconceptions and stereotypes. I remember the book that dealt with slavery but told a story by pictures and with no words. I agree with your uncertainty about using this in a classroom because the pictures were way too graphic.