Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Text set reflection

This text set as a whole was a very interesting one and something that I enjoyed exploring.  Being biracial myself, it would make sense that I might be aware of the literary materials available.  However, that was not the case.   Had no idea that there were authors who wrote specifically for and about biracial culture in America.  I am not sure if these are something that I would have liked to have been exposed to earlier in life because I never considered any of my thoughts problems.  The books all had something special about them that made them useful and appropriate for their intended audiences.  I think that the best book in this group was What Are You? By Pearl Fuyo Gaskins.  It took the stories of tens of youths and compiled them into one collection.  There was such a variety of racial combinations that any biracial person could probably find a story to relate to.  The book was broken down into chapters, each with an overriding theme. 

            Just because I thought this book was the best, that does not mean that it was the only good book.  Like I said, each one of these books serve a purpose and have their place in the home or in the classroom.

No comments: